Family Offices & Institutional Investors
Finn Dixon & Herling has had long-standing relationships with family office and multi-family office clients since its formation, drawing on practitioners from various practice areas within the firm. For each client relationship, we endeavor to familiarize ourselves with the client’s objectives, priorities, challenges, and sensitivities, with a view to providing customized advice and services that are delivered in an efficient and effective manner. When and as appropriate, we coordinate and collaborate with family members as well as family advisors (such as wealth managers, accountants, brokers, custodians, insurance experts, trusts and estates advisors, and public relations advisors). We provide such clients with a broad range of services tailored to their particular needs, including:
- Negotiating and drafting the family office’s structure and operating agreements, including its ownership, control, and governance.
- Regulatory structuring and compliance, including the availability and maintenance of exemptions from registration and their impact on operations and assets.
- Advising on employment arrangements, including compensation, benefits, profit sharing, covenants, disputes, and terminations.
- “Family client” arrangements, including internal vehicle structuring and options.
- Negotiations with service providers, including brokers, administrators, custodians, swap counterparties, consultants, and others.
- Representation in acquisitions and dispositions of minority and control positions in portfolio companies, private funds, and other investments.
- Tax planning and analysis.
- Conversions from family office to registered investment adviser and vice versa.
- Regulatory and operational compliance.
- Commercial litigation.