Charles J. Downey III
The co-chair of the firm’s Corporate group, Chuck Downey advises a broad roster of clients ranging from private equity firms and their portfolio companies to multi-national corporations. Leveraging his years of experience and breadth of practice, he brings a measured, practical approach to serving his clients.
He also represents hedge funds and other entities in connection with securities law issues, PIPE transactions and other matters.
Chuck has significant experience representing private equity, venture capital, mezzanine capital, and other institutional investors in all aspects of their activities.
Recent transactions include:
- Numerous platform acquisitions for private equity funds
- Add-on acquisitions of all sizes
- Section 363 acquisitions by strategic and private equity buyers
- Sale processes on behalf of a variety of companies
- Complex spinoff transactions
- Balance sheet and capitalization table recapitalizations
- PIPE transactions including multi-layered PIPE transactions involving convertible notes, preferred stock and warrants
Chuck also acts as a counselor to a variety of companies regarding their ongoing legal needs, providing advice regarding joint venture agreements, capital raising, employee matters, strategic agreements, and debt and equity arrangements and restructurings. His experience in this area covers a variety of industries ranging from business services to food and other consumer products to pharmaceuticals.
Before joining the firm, Chuck practiced in the corporate law group at Schulte Roth & Zabel in New York. He was a finance major while obtaining his undergraduate degree from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.
Chuck has served on a variety of committees at the firm over time (ranging from the Management Committee to the Hiring Committee), and presently chairs the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Represented many of the firm’s major private equity clients in their platform, add-on, equity financing, and sale transactions.
- Represented an iconic American clothing brand in its debt and equity recapitalization and financing by institutional investors.
- Represented a major consumer products company in most of its North American M&A activity for over 25 years.
- Represented acquirors in overseas transactions, including Czech Republic, Israel, India, etc.
- Represented sellers of businesses in the same industry in pre-arranged concurrent joint sales (typically to a single private equity buyer as an instant platform).
- Represented buyers and sellers in registered investment advisor M&A transactions, including sales to public overseas strategic buyers.
- Represented sophisticated institutional investors in complex PIPE transactions.
Leader in Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners (2003-present)
- Connecticut Venture Group, State Board of Directors, Past Secretary
- Connecticut Venture Group, Stamford Chapter, Past member, Board of Directors
- The Greenwich Alliance for Education, Inc.
- Steering Committee and Board of Directors (2006 – 2009)
- Advisory Council (2009 – 2010)
- “Federalism in the Michigan v. Long Era – Delaware v. Van Arsdall and the Continued Need for Coherent State Adjudication,” Annual Survey of American Law (1989).